Sunday, July 24, 2005

Dad

I am a father of 2. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. For the most part I'm ok with the responsibility but every once in awhile I look in the mirror and still see a kid and I think "man I'm 'Dad' for those two kids." I'm hardly what I think of when I think of a dad. I think of a big guy that can do anything. A guy that knows all the answers, a guy that's not afraid of gigantic spiders, a guy that doesn't mind going outside to see what that really insane noise just was. That's not me. I'm still the guy that wants to call my dad to ask him to come over and see what that crazy noise was outside. My dad could lift an entire 327 small block out of a 64 Impala. I'm lucky if I can carry in the bulk can of baked beans from Sam's club my wife just bought. My dad had guns. Not just the really big arms kind, the real gunpowder and bullets kind too. Lots of them. Some that aren't even legal anymore. Me, I'm afraid of guns. My dad could build a house when he was 13. I couldn't build a house if I had plans and nothing but time.

I think the reason people look at kids and go "jeesh kids today!" is because every generation is one generation removed from the "dad" we all think of in our heads when we think of one. I hope someday my kids will think of me like I think of my dad but the truth of the matter is I know that they're getting a watered down version.

The other thing is my dad's dad was not really much of a dad. He was a drunk. My dad wasn't able to finish high school because he basically had to raise his brother and sisters. He had the grades to graduate but missed too many days of school due to work. He really did build the house he lived in from the time he was 13 until he moved out.

I try to help my mom and dad out as much as I can these days which isn't really as much as I would like and I know that my dad feels like he owes me something for that but I'll tell you something I'm the one that owes and the debt will never be repaid.

Here's to the dads out there. The hardcore old school last generation ones and the ones like me that are still trying to fill those shoes. Good luck with that.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

That was a heartfelt post about your dad. I'm sure you'll turn out fine too. Just remember, that 4 year old is creating some permanent memories now. He may blog about you some day. I just wrote a piece about my dad today too.

Keep up the great work!

Sarah said...

K and J are very lucky to have you for a father. You are loving and protective and funny and smart. And you try to get them to say bad words. (Just kidding for anyone from Child Protective Services who is reading this).

You are tougher than you think you are. I mean, yes you're afraid of loud noises, but you did build them a swingset and you are the one who dealt with The Tapeworm Incident. Those are both Dad jobs, and you handled them beautifully.

Johnny Virgil said...

Good post, man.

Brian said...

have you watched 'being bobby brown'? Talk about someone that shouldn't be a dad. I truly feel sorry for his kids.

My dad always used to say, "If I talked to my dad that way, he'd woop me."

Anonymous said...

Once in a while you really shock me, great post. I think I'm a decent dad but you are so much better. Re: you had the common sense to have them with one woman [priceless]. Second, you buy them expensive ass swings and tell them to give the thumbs up while taking funny pictures. Your kids and wife are lucky to have you. Keep up the good work.

S.D.

russ said...

Mmm. Kids swearing (NSFW).

Also, there's another thing a big tough Dad shouldn't be doing -- blogging about his feelings. Geez.

Melanie was here said...

I'm fairly certain everyone at some point questions their parenting abilities. I feel certain that you are a kick ass Dad. With your sense of humor and obviously caring attitude you have nothing to worry about! Look how many times you've encouraged me....wait, you aren't my Dad are you?!

Unknown said...

What is with the sentimental posts.(I LOVE 'EM and I hate 'em) Johnny hits us with repHresh, You make me bawl... DANG IT! Is this what being bi-polar is like?

Carly said...

who are you and what have you done with Shop? j/k - nice writing

danielle said...

this is heartwarming. i actually might really cry. seriously, you are a great dad and i think your dad felt the same way about his kids but look what happened there in your eyes, nothing short of great.

Lo Lo Lova said...

Do you know how many "dads" out there don't even spend time with their kids? Don't even take responsibility for being a father? Or how many beat their kids?

The fact that you are concerned about being a good dad speaks wonders about you! As long as you love your children, you are a good dad. In their eyes, you are already a hero. Never forget that!

LizzieDaisy said...

You know, I don't know if smushing spiders is what makes a great dad (my daughter found and I smushed "EEK!!!" a big-ass one yesterday in my bathroom... I'll have nightmares for weeks)... it's the love you share and spending time with them that they'll remember. It's all they really want. Well, and toys. :)

Anyway, I'm sure you're a great dad and hub. I think if you idolize your dad, that says he did a great job. That says a lot about "him." It doesn't mean if you don't do everything he did, you aren't a great dad. It just means you're a great dad in a different way.

Cheers... bummed I missed the party.

honkeie said...

I know where you are comming from. I am a father of 2 and still a 30 year old boy. Only real difference is that my toys cost a whole lot more now lol.