Okay Seriously Sarah's life was apparantly changed when I taught her how to peel an orange. Here's a step by step photo how to.
1. Start with a Sunkist naval orange.
2. With the stem end towards the ceiling, make a latitudinal cut around the North Pole with a sharp paring knife or a swiss army pocket knife.
3. Invert the orange so that the naval end is towards the ceiling and repeat.
4. Now make 3 longitudinal cuts 120 degrees apart connecting the first 2 cuts. (on a large orange you might want to make 4 cuts 90 degrees apart)
5. Pop off the skin on the naval end, sometimes this will also include a little mini orange growing in the naval end.
6. This is the magic moment. If you peel off the stem end carefully the entire center crap comes with it.
7. Now peel the 3 remaining pieces.
8. The orange and the peel.
9. The empty orange skin I tried to fool my kid with.
10. Celebrate your victory over the orange.